A well balanced, low carbohydrate, low glycemic diet rich in healthy fats is key to beautiful skin and hair. Alternatively, a diet high in carbohydrates or sugar can eventually cause problematic skin that loses elasticity, resulting in wrinkles and sagging. The types of foods that are good for the skin and hair are high in antioxidants, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals.
Here’s a list of some of the foods that help you achieve beautiful glowing skin and hair:
1. Fruits or Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, oranges, grapefruits, etc. contain Vitamin C and antioxidant phytonutrients that get rid of free radicals in the cells and guard your collagen, thereby boosting skin repair, keeping skin firm and supple, and helping prevent wrinkles.2. Nuts and seeds: Walnuts, almonds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, and pecans are high in Vitamin E which helps reduce skin flare-ups and makes hair healthy. They also contain nutrients such as alpha-linoleic acid that prevents inflammation and enhances immunity. Flax seeds are one of the most concentrated sources of Zinc. Brazil nuts are one of nature's best sources of Selenium, an important mineral for scalp health.
3. Fish & Oysters: Oily fish such as sardines and mackerel contain omega-3 fatty acids that help reduce skin inflammation, prevent acne, promote elasticity, and keep it moisturized. They also contain Vitamin B12 and Iron. Salmon also has Selenium, a mineral that protects the skin from sun damage. Oysters are a good source of Zinc which aids in skin cell renewal and repair and keeps nails and hair healthy.
4. Vegetables, especially dark green leafy and yellow vegetables: They provide antioxidants, Iron, Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, and Vitamins A, B, C & E. Spinach and broccoli are an excellent source of these nutrients which your body needs to produce sebum, the body's natural hair conditioner. Tomatoes are the best source of the anti-aging antioxidant lycopene. Carrots are an excellent source of Vitamin A which promotes a healthy scalp.
5. Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate with at least 60% cacao has high levels of flavanols, phytonutrient compounds that have an antioxidant effect on the skin, leaving it well hydrated, soft and supple. Dark chocolate also protects skin from sun damage.
6. Poultry: Lean meats like chicken and turkey provide high quality proteins and Iron which are essential for growth, repair and maintenance. Egg yolk contains Vitamin B-12 and Biotin which promote hair growth and prevent hair loss.
7. Whole Grains: Whole grains are a great source of Zinc, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin E, and B vitamins which can help keep your skin and hair beautiful. Some whole grains also contain Selenium, an antioxidant rich mineral that helps nourish your skin and protects it from sun damage.
8. Low Fat Dairy Products: Low fat dairy products like skim milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt are great sources of Calcium, an important mineral for hair and nail growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high quality protein sources. Low fat yogurt contains good bacteria that help your skin look healthy.